Indian River Acres has 1 summer student position available at this time.
Our farm is located in the village of Indian River which is a 15-minute drive east of Peterborough, ON. We are a family-run operation and pride ourselves on growing and selling high-quality produce. We use sustainable methods and pick every day to ensure superior freshness for our customers. We are excited to have a student join our operation to support their learning and to learn new practices and skills from them.
We are looking for 1 summer student with knowledge of farming and a passion for local food to join our small team this summer. This staff member will have the opportunity to be a part of all aspects of the operation. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Hand harvest crops including: sweet corn, beans, zucchini, lettuce, beets, squash, pumpkins, garlic, cucumbers, potatoes, flowers, and herbs.
- Plant, cultivate and irrigate crops.
- Operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment.
- Regular crop scouting to ensure early identification of pests, disease, weeds and wildlife damage.
- Preparing orders for customers.
- Selling to customers at the farm stand.
- Assist with the development of a comprehensive crop management plan, including crop rotation and cover crop plans.
- Assist with wood splitting and piling.
- Assist with the web design and marketing plan for the farm.
We are looking for someone with:
- A willingness to work outdoors in varying weather.
- An interest to do physical labour and is able to do heavy lifting as needed (e.g., lifting heavy bags of sweet corn or large pumpkins).
- Access to transportation.
- A valid driver’s licence is not required for this job, but there is no public transportation to our farm, therefore you will need to provide your own transportation to and from the farm each day.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent observational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet competing deadlines.
- Proficiency with computer-based software applications including MS Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of social market and web design platforms.
Minimum qualifications required for this position:
- Must be between the ages of 16-29 years of age on the first day of employment.
- Must be eligible to work in Ontario.
- Experience with word processing software, spreadsheets, and internet searches.
- Enrollment in a post-secondary program related to agriculture, sustainable studies or equivalent an asset.
- Website development and knowledge of Shopify an asset
- 1-2 years experience working in a farm environment an asset.
- Social media marketing skills an asset.
Starting rate of pay is $16.00/hr and can increase with experience. The hours will be part-time starting mid-June and will move to 35 hrs/week by late July and continue until early September. Weekend work is required.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com before June 1, 2021.