A few family favourite recipes from
Indian River Acres
Frosted Zucchini Brownies
½ cup canola oil
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh zucchini (shredded)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup shortening
3-4 cups icing sugar (depending on how think you would like the frosting)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. cocoa
3-4 Tbsp. water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract until well blended.
- In another bowl combine the flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. A little at a time stir into the sugar mixture. Add zucchini and mix. The batter will be dry and crumbly, don't worry. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish, press down lightly.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool before frosting.
- When the brownies are cool, ice with frosting.
Fresh Tomato Corn Salsa
1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons diced red onions
¼ cup diced green bell peppers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
½ to 1 fresh green chile, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Blanch the corn in boiling water to cover for 1 to 2 minutes, until just tender.
- Cut kernels off the cob.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Add salt, if desired, and serve at room temperature.
Fresh Garlic Cilantro Sauce
1 cup Greek Yogurt
4 large garlic cloves *peeled
2 cups cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp lime juice
- Thoroughly wash cilantro and shake off all excess water. If needed dry with paper towels.
- Peel garlic.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend well.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Garlic Scape Hummus
1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
¼ cup tahini, well stirred
¼ cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. garlic scape pesto, more if you like garlic
½ tsp. cumin
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse in a colander, put in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl.
- Using an immersion hand blender, blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve with fresh cut vegetables or your favourite crackers.
2 medium zucchini (about 10-12 inches)
3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons ketchup
Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds, but leave as much zucchini in the shells as possible.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until zucchini is tender, 25-30 minutes.